When vehicles become weapons
Paris (AFP) - Transforming a vehicle into a simple but deadly weapon of terror -- as happened to such bloody effect in Nice on Thursday -- is a tactic well known to intelligence agencies.
A truck smashed into revellers celebrating France's Bastille Day, killing at least 80 and injuring scores as its ploughed two kilometres through the crowd.
Western authorities have had to deal with three similar attacks in recent years: two in Britain and another in Canada.
Police arrest Bastille Day killer's WIFE as dramatic footage shows moment Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel was shot dead
- WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT: Terrorist uses lorry to mow down crowds during Bastille Day celebrations in Nice
- Death toll currently stands at 84, 202 were injured, 52 are in a critical condition and 25 are on life support machines
- ID card belonging to Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, a French Tunisian man, 31, from Nice, found next to his body
- His cousin said Bouhlel, a father of three, told MailOnline he flouted every rule of Islam, beat his wife and took drugs
- Police say terrorist's wife Hajer arrested and in custody as officers work on his motives and if he had accomplices
- At least 10 babies and children were killed, some in buggies, with least 54 children also being treated in hospital
- Eyewitnesses said driver zig-zagged at 40mph to hit crowds of people who were sent flying or jammed under wheels
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3691019/Several-people-injured-truck-crashes-crowd-Bastille-Day-celebrations-Nice.html#ixzz4EUlQDppv
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook